Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Erin's Law


Have you heard about Erin  Merryn? Here’s a bit of her story:

“All it took was one night for my innocence to be stolen.

From ages 6-8 1/2 and 11-13 two men molested and raped me. One a neighbor the other a family member. I wasn't telling because nobody had educated me to tell. The only message I was getting was from the men abusing me. These men told me they would come get me, they knew where I lived, no one would believe me, I had no proof, and I would destroy my family if I told our secret.

There are children across this world being told the same thing I was told, and I have now made it my mission to educate and empower every child with their voice through Erin's Law. A law I am determined to get passed in all 50 states.”

The mission of Erin's law is to get education in all 50 states on the prevention of sexual abuse by empowering children with their voice instead of allowing sex offenders to silence them.

“Growing up in Illinois public schools every year I was educated with my classmates on tornado drills, fire drills, bus drills, stranger danger, and learned the 8 ways to say "NO" to drugs through D.A.R.E.

As a child I never had to take cover because of a real tornado. I never had to stop, drop, and roll or run out of a burning building. I never had to evacuate a school bus due to an emergency, but I had the knowledge to know what to do if any of those situations happened.

Where was the drill on how to escape a child molester? Where was the lesson plan on sexual abuse, safe touches, and safe secrets? It never came. I was not educated on “How to Tell Today or How to Get Away.” I was never educated on “My Body Belongs to Me.”   Erin Merryn


I applaud Erin for her courage in standing up for kids.  Let’s give children a voice by educating them about sexual abuse.  We can’t afford to pretend that sexual abuse doesn’t happen here.  We can make a difference.

Talk to the kids you care about.  Let them know that sexual abuse is not okay.  Tell them they can trust you to listen. Care.  Start talking.

Linda Garner

 

 


 

 

No comments: